Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Monsoon season


If I were a body of land, I would liken myself to the Sahara. The Sahara is most famous for being a desert, dry and barren. I have three kids, so some of you may be lost already.


But let me explain some more about this interesting place. Let me also mention that my kids and I love things like Discovery Channel and Science Channel and I am a big dork who enjoys research, hence my literary choices and enjoyment of writing. Also, pictures are from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Many creatures depend on the Sahara for survival, some of them rare and unique and only found due to the distinct ecoregions that take place in this fasinating place. However, sometimes it rains. When it rains, it pours.
The rain is generally a good thing, bringing a spurt of life and water and refreshing the desert. But it pours.
It is pouring just now. After a few years of drought it is pouring. The water is washing over me and my unique inhabitants and we are blinking and wondering where all of this has been for the past eight or so years when we were so desperatly searching for water.
And now I am going to flip-flop analogys mid blog and go, where is Snuffleupagus? My imaginary friend, called this due to the of late nearly onesided nature and near invisibility of him, would be darned handy in a monsoon. Advice from Snuffy is not coming as Snuffy has chosen now, again, to go non-corporeal. *Shrugs* Why not? Perfect timing.
So I am standing mid-monsoon, blinking in the rain, thinking if I just wait it out, this too shall pass. This is an unusual storm. Usually if we just stand around doing nothing long enough, the rain passes on its own. Or if the Sahara pushes back, being such a big and overwhelming land mass, the rain moves along.
More rain keeps coming in offshore.
Blink. Blink. Blink.
Hmm.
Perhaps I should buy an umbrella.




No comments:

Post a Comment