Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ringtones for a Siren


Janie is a special gal. She is a smart mouthed single mother of one kid who would do anything for her daughter... even go up against all the forces of the night and day worlds combined. Not too shabby. Aside from that, she does it with her friends. I think that is pretty cool because most super characters pick up all these super-de-uper people as they go along and Janie is still hanging with her weird (albeit witchy) best friend from highschool.

What really set Janie apart for me and made her someone I wanted to talk about, at length (come on, I wrote 90k words about her that you know about. That you don't know about is a third book and all of the back story that I had to write to create those books. Also there is a short that happened between books two and three. Not to mention blogs, etc. I have been talking about this girl since 2007.) was her sense of humor. She is the kind of girl who can date a vampire and have Bleed it Out for a ringtone
(Linkin Park is the band and the lyrics are something like this:
"Mama help me I've been cursed
Death is rolling in every verse

Candy paint on his brand new hearse
Can't contain him he knows he works

*** this hurts, I won't lie
Doesn't matter how hard I try

Half the words don't mean a thing
And I know that I wont be satisfied

So why try ignoring him
Make it a dirt dance floor again

Say your prayers and stomp it out
When they bring that chorus in

[Chorus]
I bleed it out digging deeper
Just to throw it away")
And then change it to Gilligan's Island because it is, "A classic." Janie is that kind of girl.

Not that she hasn't faced personal tragedy. Her dad was murdered. Her mom is a self-centered, manipulative beastie who wants to use Janie regardless of the cost to her kid. Chance, her "soulmate," lies to her. But she just plows through it all. Wise cracking. Bull headed. Stupidly confident that at the end of the day, the good guys are going to win. Because that is how it should be. Good guys winning, bad guys losing.

I like her.

I wanna be Janie when I grow up. Even if people go buggy when I sing. Hell. They do go buggy when I sing. That is why I do karaoke at your own risk.

So, anyway, this was just a blog about Janie and why I like her. Let me know if you like her. Maybe soon I will do a blog on Vance or Chance or Mia. They are pretty cool people, too. I like my imaginary friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment