Monday, December 26, 2011

Yes, Santa, there was a Virginia...

Yes, Santa Claus, there was a Virginia.

In 1857, Harper's Weekly printed a story about a jolly man in a red suit. Upon reading the article, Virginia O'Hanlon wanted to believe in the magic. Her friends had told her that there wasn't a Santa Claus. So she wrote the editor that had first printed the article and asked him.

When the response came back... Advising that a world without Santa was like a world without Virginia's, the world found a new story.

Imagine my excitement, today, when my awesome landlord brought over the original article... The one that made young Virginia wonder.

Brittle with age, the paper was too dry for me to flip the page open but I snapped a few shots with my cell phone so that I could share them with you all.

Virginia wrote:

“Dear Editor:

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.

Papa says, ‘If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.’ Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?”

— Virginia O’Hanlon

Here is a copy of her letter... If you click on it you can read it.


Believe in the magic... :)

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment