Wednesday, June 6, 2012

RIP Mr. Bradbury


I just mentioned Ray Bradbury in my blog a few days ago when discussing the writing process. It fascinated me, and probably always will, that his writing process involved sitting in his swivel chair, turning left, then right...glancing at all the things around his desk until--KAPOW. And once he saw the thing that sparked the story, he wrote.

In one of my stories, I quoted Something Wicked, one of my favorites from him.

Where do they come from? The dust. Where do they go? The grave. Does blood stir their veins? No, the night wind. What ticks in their head? The worm. What speaks through their mouth? The toad. What sees from their eye? The snake. What hears with their ear? The abyss between the stars.” - Chapter 38, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury, 1962

Ray Bradbury had the unique gift to take a few words, string them together, and make delicious shivers of horrified delight ripple across my skin. I have a quote from him hanging above my desk, I believe you can see a picture including it someplace near this sentence. He was an inspiration to authors, a gifted writer and now...

At the age of 91, he is gone.

Born in 1920, according to Wikipedia, in Illinois, Mr. Bradbury was descended from a Salem witch and learned his love of books early, starting out with greats like Poe. Upon his death, everyone has taken a moment to report it and, much to my amusement, it is all in Wikipedia already (they don't let the dust settle over at Wikipedia.)

"The New York Times' obituary stated that Bradbury was "the writer most responsible for bringing modern science fiction into the literary mainstream." The Los Angeles Times credited Bradbury with the ability "to write lyrically and evocatively of lands an imagination away, worlds he anchored in the here and now with a sense of visual clarity and small-town familiarity". Bradbury's grandson, Danny Karapetian, stated that Bradbury's works had "influenced so many artists, writers, teachers, scientists, and it's always really touching and comforting to hear their stories". Several celebrity fans of Bradbury paid tribute to the author by stating the influence of his works on their own careers and creations." (See entire article here.)

But for me, I can say this. I loved his work. If ever a story I tell gets as many people talking as some of his did, I will know that I did my job as a storyteller. Bradbury was quoted at one point to have said that he sought his own immortality with his work.

Just a guess, sir, but I think you got it.

Rest in peace, Ray Bradbury. August 22, 1920 – June 5, 2012

From, a Fan


No comments:

Post a Comment